Matt is Team #FinishThirst's very own road runner. He's taken on lots of challenges from marathon to WaterAid's Tough Sh!t. With training he's made every mistake in book, but learnt a lot along the way.
Here are his top five tips on preparing for your event or challenge:
- Every second counts: think about time rather than distance. Minutes and seconds, not miles or kilometres! Your pace will naturally improve.
- Get out there even if you have a 15 minute window – getting out for a short run is better than no run at all.
- Good trainers are really worth it, you’ll look natty and avoid injury.
- Wobble don’t hobble – know the difference between being sore and feeling pain (you can still run if you’re beat up, but be honest with yourself if you’ve picked up an injury).
- Have fun! What makes training fun for you? Whether it’s your own soundtrack, your best bud or favourite place (mine’s Battersea Park in London).