Place of work:
Competitive with excellent benefits and salary packaging available
Permanent Full Time 38 hour week
Director of Corporate and Community Engagement
WaterAid’s vision is of a world where everyone, everywhere has safe water, sanitation and hygiene. Our mission is to transform the lives of the poorest and most marginalised people by improving access to safe water, sanitation and hygiene. WaterAid works with partners to maximize its impacts for policy change/influence.
WaterAid works through supporting local organisations and government authorities to design and demonstrate appropriate and sustainable water, sanitation and hygiene programmes. WaterAid also seeks to influence the policy change through government and other key sector actors to secure and protect the right of poor people to safe, affordable water and sanitation services.
Everything we do is shaped by our six values:
The Communications Manager is responsible for developing, coordinating and implementing the overall communications plan for the organisation in line with organisational objectives. Increasing engagement with key audiences through effective storytelling, content strategy and production of publications is critical along with building WaterAid’s media relationships. This position also manages organic social media and website content.
The candidate will ideally have:
- An excellent track record in communications strategy, management and implementation
- Experience in media strategy and implementation
- Highly developed copy writing skills
- Creative flair, experience and expertise
The Communications Manager reports to the Director of Corporate and Community Engagement (CCE) and is a member of the CCE team. The role works cross functionally across the entire organisation both within Australia, within our country programs and globally.
- Responsible for the planning, organisation, and direction of WaterAid’s communication strategies and public awareness activities.
- Manage the communications budget including budget development, forecasting and reporting.
- Monitor and evaluate the success of communications activities and regularly report to the Director of CCE on KPIs and key projects.
- Ensure that all external communications including publications, media, marketing materials, merchandise and online content are consistent with WaterAid’s verbal and brand guidelines.
- Write and/or commission content for media and communications materials, and oversee the production and distribution of monthly newsletters, our supporter magazine Oasis, our annual report, media releases, blogs, social media and web content.
- Champion WaterAid’s storytelling approach, driving improvements in the processes required to capture engaging stories for WaterAid supporters.
- Work with staff in WaterAid Australia’s country programs (Cambodia, Papua New Guinea and Timor-Leste) to collect stories, case studies, photos and videos, and coordinate overseas content trips.
- Produce engaging, targeted communications for supporters and the public for retention, engagement and education, while providing communications support to the organisation and its activities.
- Develop and implement media strategies to obtain media coverage in a variety of outlets, particularly during key moments such as World Water Day (22 March), The Water Challenge (March) and World Toilet Day (19 November).
- Manage relationships and write briefs for external communications suppliers such as designers, copywriters, filmmakers
- Manage WaterAid’s ambassador and influencer relationships and work closely with internal spokespeople including the Chief Executive.
- Ensure that WaterAid’s communications activities meet ACFID code of conduct standards, DFAT requirements, and child safeguarding and privacy legislation.
- Work collaboratively with WaterAid international colleagues to achieve communications targets and roll out global campaigns
- Manage organic content for WaterAid’s social media channels (Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, YouTube), and moderate online communities.
- Manage website content and upload content and articles to the WaterAid website.
- Manage, communicate and contribute to the development of key messages, key statistics and dollar handles.
- Tertiary qualification in communications or public relations or equivalent.
Experience and skills:
- Experience and ability to successfully lead, manage and implement a communications strategy within budget and in alignment with organisational strategic goals
- Exceptional copy writing, editing, written and verbal communications skills
- Experience in using different forms of media (such as email, websites, social media and physical publications) to deliver high quality information to different audiences
- Demonstrated experience in engagement with media outlets
- Highly organised with an ability to meet deadlines and manage many competing priorities and stakeholder requirements
- Professional who stays abreast of industry trends and applies this knowledge to achieve constant improvement
- Experience overseeing social media and website content
- Appreciation of and commitment to WaterAid’s vision, values and objectives
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with others
- International development experience or a similar complex global environment
- Experience in non-profit and/or fundraising environment
To apply for this position, please send a covering letter addressing the selection criteria and your CV to [email protected]
Applicants must have the right to work in Australia
WaterAid is a child safe organisation committed to protection of people we serve. Our recruitment and selection procedures are designed to ensure we only recruit people who are suitable and aligned with our standards on the safety of children and protection from sexual exploitation and abuse. All appointments are subject to appropriate background checks and screening.
We promote diversity and equality in all our practices. Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people are strongly encouraged to apply.