Head of Program Operations
Help transform the lives of the world’s poorest communities
Senior management role within a dynamic NGO
Full Time Permanent
Our mission is to transform lives by improving access to safe water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) in the world’s poorest communities. WaterAid works with partners to maximise its impacts for policy change/influence. Never before has there been more recognition of the importance of WASH.
About the Role
The position is responsible for overseeing grant management and associated operating systems and processes to support the effective delivery of quality programs and holds accountability for contractual requirements across the portfolio, including programming under the Australian Government’s Water for Women Fund and ANCP.
The Head of Program Operations leads a sub-team of four staff and provides strategic advice to the Director of Policy and Programs (PP) as part of the PP management team alongside the Head of Learning and Effectiveness, and the Head of Strategy. A key accountability for the PP management team is ensuring strong coordination between all sub-teams, and other parts of WaterAid Australia.
The role also coordinates and collaborates with Country Programs in Cambodia, PNG, and Timor-Leste, to manage and continuously improve grant management and operational systems and processes that support Country Programs to lead quality programming and implementation of their strategies.
Essential to the role is a commitment to locally-led development, understanding of sector standards and best practice, collaborative working style and management approach that fosters a culture of staff empowerment and professional development
To be successful in this role, you will also have:
- Significant experience in program/grant management or operational management role, with responsibilities managing donor relationships and reporting.
- Commitment to prioritising capacity strengthening of Country Program staff and building sustainable and appropriate systems and processes based on the capacities of staff and partners.
- Proven financial management, budget development and financial reporting skills.
- Experience leading, supporting and empowering staff and working collaboratively across teams and countries.
- Implementation or socialisation of policies and procedures in line with ACFID Code of Conduct and DFAT Accreditation standards, with a strong understanding of safeguarding requirements.
- Ability to think strategically as well as engage in the complexities of operational management and work to identify solutions and improvements to ways of working.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and relationship building skills.
Details of how to apply
Please submit an application to [email protected] by 9am Tuesday 9th March, with the subject line Application – Head of Program Operations.
Applications for this position must include a resume and a cover letter (max 2 pages) addressing the above Qualification, Skills and Selection Criteria.
For any queries not answered in this document please email Tom Muller, Director of Policy and Programs at [email protected]. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applicants must have the right to work in Australia.
WaterAid is a child-safe organisation committed to the protection of people we serve. Our recruitment and selection procedures are designed to ensure we only recruit people who are suitable and aligned with our standards on the safety of children and protection from sexual exploitation and abuse. All appointments are subject to appropriate background checks and screening.
We promote diversity and equality in all our practices. Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people are strongly encouraged to apply.