WaterAid’s vision is of a world where everyone has access to safe water and sanitation. Our mission is to transform lives by improving access to safe water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) in the world’s poorest communities. WaterAid works with partners to maximise its impacts for policy change/influence.
WaterAid works through supporting local organisations and government authorities to design and demonstrate appropriate and sustainable WASH programs. WaterAid also seeks to influence policy change through government and other key sector actors to secure and protect the right of poor people to safe, affordable water and sanitation services.
Everything we do is shaped by our six values:
WaterAid is a child safe organisation. We recognise that we must meet community expectations and the trust placed in our personnel to maintain the highest standards of conduct with children. Therefore, all positions within WaterAid are required to comply with our Child Safeguarding Policy and Code of Conduct.
WaterAid is committed to protection from sexual exploitation and abuse in everything we do. The values and standards we uphold are highlighted in our Global Code of Conduct. All positions within WaterAid are required to comply with our Global Code of Conduct.
WaterAid passionately believes everyone in the organisation has a role to play in innovation, encourages curiosity about the world and empowering everyone to take action. We recognise that both big and small changes can have positive impacts on our roles, our team and our mission.
Reporting to the Programs Finance Manager, the Programs Accountant will be responsible for providing guidance and accounting support to the Country Office finance teams. The Programs Accountant will provide support to Operations Managers in Country Offices to ensure financial accounting best practice and the timely completion of month-end reporting. The role will support the Programs team in Melbourne on managing grants, acquittals, budgeting, orecasting and program reporting.
Key Performance Areas/Accountabilities
- Review monthly uploads for Country Programs from in-country Reckon to SUN in Melbourne and reconcile
- Review and reconcile all ledgers/intercompany accounts with country programs
- Prepare and process financial reporting for exchange rate and interest management in accordance with Australian Accounting Standards and donor requirements
- Lead on Review of Country Program financial data in Reckon and support the preparation of monthly reports
- Coordinate finance review monthly meetings with Country Program finance teams
- Work closely with the Country Operations Managers and Country finance teams to provide daily support on financial systems, controls and reporting.
- Track grant expenditure and advise on any risks or trends
- Prepare project and grant reconciliations
- Coordinate and provide support to the Programs team and Country Programs teams on financial reporting on grants, acquittals budgeting, forecasting and grant tracking.
- Prepare quarterly reports for the Programs team and Country Programs
- Assist with the upload of budgets and forecasts for the Programs team and Country Programs
- Prepare month-end journals for grant matching
- Prepare balance sheet account reconciliations to ensure the accuracy and completeness of income, unearned income, expenditure and cash (and other accounts as necessary);
Audit & Compliance
- Meet relevant compliance standards including DFAT and ACFID accreditation requirements and WaterAid international standards.
- Support Programs Finance Manager to coordinate internal and external audits in Country Programs
- Assist in internal audit programs for WaterAid
- Support delivery of WaterAid Australia external audit
- Provide capacity building activities and training to country team on Fraud policy, Anti-Terrorism policy and procedure and finance management
- Support preparation, review and implementation of WaterAid program finance and administration policies and procedures
- Assist Programs Finance Manager to implement financial systems and processes
- Deliver capacity building activities for staff and partners on financial management and reporting.
- Participate in international and country program finance forums and issues
- Provide finance systems training to Melbourne and Country Program finance staff
- Assist the Oragniational Support & Systems team with ongoing projects
- Other duties as required.
Qualification, Skills & Attributes (Key Capabilities/Selection Criteria)
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in accounting.
- Demonstrated experience in a similar role with NGOs and in an environment involving high levels of multi-skilling
- Demonstrated experience on preparing and running monthly and quarterly reports
- Demonstrated experience on providing support on financial systems, controls and reporting to Country Program and International Program teams.
- Demonstrated ability providing financial and transactional accounting services
- Degree in commerce (accounting)
- Membership of, or studying towards qualification for, a professional accounting body e.g. CA or CPA
Knowledge and skills:
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Strong analytical problem-solving skills
- Strong approach to internal controls and systems improvement
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills – especially Excel
- Knowledge or experience of business information and reporting systems
- Self-motivated, ability to work autonomously and to organise workload to meet demands
- Reliable, with a strong sense of responsibility and work ethic
- Attention to detail
- A team player with the ability to build strong relationships with colleagues
- Strong commitment to human development and poverty reduction and inclusive development
- Working style that reflects WaterAid’s values of Respect, Accountability, Courage, Collaboration, Integrity and Innovation
- Commitment to WaterAid’ values and standards of safety of children and protection from sexual exploitation and abuse in all our activities
- Demonstrated understanding of gender equality and women’s empowerment including ethnic diversity and cultural sensitivity
- Commitment to innovation, continuous improvement and openness to new ideas and growth.
- CA or CPA qualified
- Experience with XERO, Reckon Online or SunSystems will be highly regarded
Physical Environment and Demands:
- Ergonomic work stations within an open plan office, standing desks, recreational area and flexible work environment, overseas travel.
Level of contact with children:
- During Country Program visits, office family days and volunteering activities.
Details of how to apply
Please submit your application to [email protected] by 21th July 2022.
Applications for this position must include a resume and a cover letter which addresses the full Selection criteria as identified in the Position Description.
Applicants must have the right to work in Australia.
WaterAid is a child safe organisation committed to protection of people we serve. Our recruitment and selection procedures are designed to ensure we only recruit people who are suitable and aligned with our standards on the safety of children and protection from sexual exploitation and abuse. All appointments are subject to appropriate background checks and screening. We promote diversity and equality in all our practices. Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people are strongly encouraged to apply.