Strengthening Menstrual Health and Hygiene
Thank you so much for your valuable association and helping WaterAid in reaching 1.62 million beneficiaries across India successfully implementing water, sanitation and hygiene programs.
In India, 88 percent women don’t have access to the hygienic product like sanitary napkins, tampons and menstrual cups. Many use unhygienic methods and this puts them at high risk avoidable diseases. The menstrual health should be addressed from the perspective of value chain and not just from the narrow lens of distributing sanitary products
Safe menstrual practices are not only essential to health, but contributes to livelihood, school attendance and dignity and helps to create resilient communities living in healthy and clean environment.
Water Aid is a global nonprofit organization, which has been working for more than 3 decades in India in 12 states to improve access to clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene for everyone and everywhere. Water Aid is working in the grassroots by empowering women and girls in communities to assert their rights to menstrual hygienic practices by strengthening outreach services in schools, communities, institutions in 4 states which includes Bihar, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh and Telangana.
Water Aid through MHM intervention
- Distributing Product Choice Kit which includes 10-12 safe items beneficial to all the female family members during the period cycle
- Training the front-line workers on menstrual hygiene and health.
- Conducting Session with adolescent and mothers providing information about myths and taboos on menstrual health.
- Menstrual health management in communities and schools
- Ensuring menstrual health entails have access to quality products and constructing female friendly toilet with running water, hand washing facility, soap and lock and more importantly proper disposal system
As a non-profit organization, we rely on the generosity of donors like you to continue our work and make a difference in the lives of those we serve.
WaterAid India is part of the global WaterAid network which seeks to improve access to clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene for everyone, everywhere.
We started in 1986 because no non-profit like us existed. We are determined to make clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene normal for everyone, everywhere within a generation. Only by tackling these three essentials, in ways that last, can people change their lives for good.