- Job Title: Finance & IT Intern
- Reports to: Head of Finance and IT
- Direct Reports: None
- Location: Abuja
- Travels: Potential travel to field to be determined based on needs.
- Duration: 1 year
The Finance & IT department provides leadership and support for financial management and IT across
The idea of this role of the Finance Intern is intended to be a learning and development opportunity for
young professionals to gain exposure and build skills through work in an international development
organization and potentially, build a crop of professionals with experience relevant to the international
development or other professional sectors.
A key responsibility of the intern will be to provide support to the Finance and IT department and the CP
at large, in a number of capacities and activities. These will include:
- Ensure accuracy, security and documentation of petty cash and cash receipts. Be the custodian of office petty cash.
- Ensure that petty cash is maintained at agreed minimum levels through collection of cash from bank when required.
- Support in postings of transactions into SUN, Vision and other systems/ templates.
- Support in monthly reconciliations, remittances and payments.
Filing and documentation
- Support in management and keeping of accounting records, files and other documentation.
- Stamp “paid” on all paid payment vouchers and supporting documents
- Support the process to ensure accurate and adequate documentation and recording of WaterAid
- Nigeria income and expenditures.
Support in internal controls
- Send monthly update to staff on status of staff advances
- Reconcile and explain all outstanding balance on staff debtor and creditor account.
Support in partner financial management
- Support in processing of partner funds transfer
- Other roles as may be assigned.
Skills / Abilities / Personal Qualities
- Organizing, Planning, and Prioritizing Work — Developing specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work.
- Establishing and Maintaining Interpersonal Relationships — Developing constructive and cooperative working relationships with others, and maintaining them over time.
- Attention to details-Ability to follow precise procedures and complete routine tasks/activities without errors
- Active Listening — Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Active Learning — Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Judgment and Decision Making — Ability to use information and determine best fit option relative to costs and benefits of potential actions to determine most appropriate one option
- Initiative — willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges.
- Written and Oral Expression — Excellent ability to communicate information and ideas in writing and speaking so others will easily understand.
- Time Management — Managing one's own time and the time of others; Keen sense and appreciation of priorities and deadlines
- Flexibility-Ability to adapt to difficult situations (e.g. unforeseen change in context)
Qualifications and Experience
- BSC or HND in Accounting or Business Administration or any social sciences
- Completion of National Youth Service Scheme
- Student membership of a professional accounting body ( ICAN, ACCA etc)
- Excellent computer skills particularly Microsoft Excel
If you are interested in the position and have the right skills and attributes, Complete the application form by clicking this LINK
Closing date for this application is 1 July 2022
Who we are
WaterAid is an international not-for-profit, determined to make clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene normal for everyone, everywhere within a generation.
Since we started in 1981, we’ve remained resolutely focused on tackling these three essentials that transform people’s lives.
Without all three, people can’t live dignified, healthy lives. With all three, they can unlock their potential, break free from poverty, and change their lives for good. Children grow up healthy and strong, women and men get to earn a living, whole communities start to thrive. It sounds normal and it should be.
WaterAid is fully committed to protecting those with whom it comes into contact. WaterAid is committed to ensuring that wherever we work in the world there is no tolerance for the abuse of power, privilege or trust. WaterAid reinforces a culture of zero tolerance towards any form of inappropriate behaviour, abuse, harassment, or exploitation of any kind. The safeguarding of our beneficiaries, staff, volunteers and anyone working on our behalf, is our top priority, and we take our responsibilities extremely seriously. All staff and volunteers are required to share in this commitment through our Global Code of Conduct. We will conduct the most appropriate pre-employment references and checks to ensure high standards are maintained.
For more information about safeguarding at WaterAid, please visit our safeguarding webpage at:
We’re committed to changing normal forever—are you?