- Job Title: Sanitation and Hygiene Consultant
- Department: Programmes Directorate
- Reports to: Program Manager
- Direct Reports: None
- Location: Lagos State
WaterAid with support from Kimberly Clark seeks the services of a qualified Sanitation and Hygiene Coordinator to support Hygiene Promotion and Education to Improve Hygiene Behaviours among Vulnerable Populations project in Lagos state. COVID19 pandemic stresses the importance of hygiene behaviour change interventions especially as proper hygiene has been identified by the WHO and other health agencies as central to controlling the spread of the disease. Pregnant and lactating women including their children are vulnerable to the virus, hence, the need for increased sensitization on specific hygiene behaviours to protect themselves from being infected with Covid19 and other infectious diseases. Consequently, our proposed Hygiene Behaviour Change (HBC) intervention targeted at peri-urban and remote rural communities in Lagos state with particular focus on women and girls. WaterAid also seek to influence the policy change through government and other key international organisations to secure and protect the right of poor people to safe, affordable hygiene, sanitation clean water services and decent toilets essentials that help people lead dignified and healthy lives, but for millions of people they are not. We are determined to make clean water, decent toilets, and good hygiene a normal part of everyday life for everyone, everywhere within a generation.
The main goal of the Kimberly Clarke sanitation and hygiene intervention is, “improved hygiene-specific behaviors change among beneficiaries in the target communities in Lagos state” Based on this, the post holder will be expected to carry out the following roles:
- Conduct hygiene education for mothers, pregnant and lactating women in primary and secondary health facilities leveraging ante-natal and post-natal sessions
- Create and distribute context-specific IEC materials on safe hygiene practices targeted at pregnant and lactating women in communities and healthcare facilities
- Organise hygiene promotion activities including menstrual hygiene education in girls-only and mixed secondary schools
- Distribution of hygiene kits to pregnant and lactating women in health facilities and communities
- Community mobilization/advocacy in the target communities
- Formation of hygiene committees in the target communities (most members of these committees will be women)
- Train members of hygiene committees who will support broader hygiene education in their respective communities
- Engage with local government authorities to advocate for the provision of water and sanitation facilities
- Distribute hygiene kits to households in the target communities
- Implement community-led total sanitation (CLTS) to address the issue of open defecation
- Package and distribute hygiene kits to secondary schools with a priority on girls-only secondary schools
- Provide handwashing facilities in selected secondary schools, markets, primary healthcare centers, motor parks and community centers
- Rehabilitation of sanitation facilities in selected secondary schools and communities
- Strategic engagement with relevant state authorities to support government-funded hygiene promotion programs
- Advocate the integration of hygiene education in the state government’s health programs
- Organise policy discussion forum during Global Handwashing Day with relevant stakeholders to discuss the importance of hygiene on maternal and child health
- Technical assistance to Lagos state Government partners in the design of large-scale hygiene education interventions in the state
The post holder will perform a wide range of duties using independent judgment and initiative to determine approaches or actions to take in non-routine situations. In broad terms, the job holder will provide technical and administrative and operational support for programme management (planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and knowledge management activities, Country Programme, and fundraising activities) with reference to sanitation and hygiene.
She will be required to interpret guidelines using policies and precedents. Most importantly she will be able to demonstrate sufficient professional and personal maturity to be entrusted with what in many cases will be sensitive information.
A key responsibility of the Sanitation and Hygiene Coordinator will be to provide technical and administrative support to WaterAid partners (Lagos State government and CSOs), in sanitation and hygiene across selected Local Council Development Authorities in Lagos State, in several capacities and activities. These will include:
- As a sanitation and hygiene expert, take the lead in sanitation and hygiene behaviour change campaigns across project locations in Lagos.
- Works closely with the project manager and Head of Programme to ensure quality and standard delivery of all sanitation and hygiene Projects including HBC and campaigns.
- Supports the Project Manager in delivering the objectives of the Kimberly Clarke projects, especially in sanitation, hygiene promotion/campaigns, ODF strategies and roadmap development.
- Represents WANG at LCDA/ CDAs meetings on sanitation and hygiene meetings and functions with the view to feeding back on happenings on those platforms and suggesting necessary steps/advise to WANG.
- Support the development of models that will promote sustainable sanitation and hygiene services at all levels.
- Lead WANG in menstrual hygiene campaigns and propagation of sustainable models for MH practices in line with the project description across project locations at schools and healthcare centres.
- With the support of the project manager and Head of programmes, develop appropriate activities and events to mark Global Handwashing and World Toilet Days in Lagos stater.
- With the support of SPEL Team at the Abuja office, deliver learning and knowledge management project/initiatives including but not limited to writing reports; collation of reports, documentation, filing and sharing knowledge management / learning products.
- With the support of the Advocacy Team, provide support for advocacy initiatives such as meetings with sector actors, development partners and other key stakeholders in sanitation and hygiene promotion.
- With the support of Communications and Media colleagues at the Abuja office, update and maintain databases (stakeholder, publication, media hits); preparations for and implementation of campaigns, updating the advocacy scrapbook and putting advocacy packs together in relation to sanitation and hygiene promotion.
Skills / Abilities / Personal Qualities
- Organizing, Planning, and Prioritizing Work — Developing specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work.
- Establishing and Maintaining Interpersonal Relationships — Developing constructive and cooperative working relationships with others and maintaining them over time.
- Willingness to learn: Demonstrating a willingness to learn new ideas using a combination of learning approaches.
- Self-motivation and Initiative — Ability to inspire oneself to take on challenging tasks and commitment to deliver work of excellent quality.
- Written and Oral Expression — Excellent ability to communicate information and ideas in writing and speaking so others will easily understand.
- Must have a University degree in Environmental/Public Health, the Social Sciences, Development studies or related fields.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience. At least 5years must be in the area of sanitation and hygiene promotion at healthcare and school levels, community management, monitoring and evaluation of projects/programmes, and advocacy with any reputable national/ international/ donor agency or local NGO.
- Experience with building capacity of implementing partner organizations especially CSO’s and government.
- Strong communication skills, including active listening and ability to effectively convey information and ideas verbally and in writing.
- A Master’s degree in Public Health, Education and Awareness and any of Project Management, international development / human rights, sociology, public policy, or political science will be an added advantage.
Our People Promise
We’re looking for people who share a commitment to our vision, and a commitment to playing their part in changing normal. We’re looking for people with an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important challenges. In return, you can expect to get inspiration from the change you help make happen, a sense of belonging and the feeling of being part of a global community. You will also experience stimulation and fulfilment, the chance to grow, and space to be yourself at your best.
This is our pledge to you.
We started because no NGO like us existed. We’ll end when no organisation like us is needed. In the meantime, we’re making great progress – since 1981, we have reached 25 million people with clean water and, since 2004, 24 million people with sanitation.
If you are interested in the position and have the right skills and attributes, complete the application form by clicking this LINK.
Closing date for this application is 6 December, 2021
Please note: to apply for this role you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in Nigeria.
WaterAid is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
We particularly encourage applications from women who are underrepresented at this level in the organisation.
WaterAid is committed to ensuring that wherever we work in the world there is no tolerance for the abuse of power, privilege or trust. WaterAid reinforces a culture of zero tolerance towards any form of inappropriate behaviour, abuse, harassment, or exploitation of any kind. The safeguarding of our beneficiaries, staff, volunteers and anyone working on our behalf, is our top priority, and we take our responsibilities extremely seriously. All staff and volunteers are required to share in this commitment through our Global Code of Conduct.
Females are Strongly encouraged to apply