- Job Title: Strategy, Programme Effectiveness and Learning Intern
- Duration: 1 year
- Department: Strategy, Programme Effectiveness and Learning
- Reports to: Head of Strategy, Programme Effectiveness and Learning
- Location: WaterAid Nigeria (Abuja)
- Direct reports: None
- Travel: Potential travel to field to be determined based on needs.
WaterAid is an international not-for-profit organisation dedicated to helping the poor and marginalised people break free from poverty and disease, and change their lives for good through improved access to clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene. Since 1995, WaterAid has dedicatedly worked with the governments and people of Nigeria to support the implementation of sustainable water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) interventions and programmes.
The Strategy, Programme Effectiveness & Learning department drives work on WaterAid Nigeria’s strategy, planning, reviewing the performance and impact of our programmes, identifies and manage learning and supports developing knowledge outputs.
The WaterAid internship is intended to be a learning and development opportunity for young professionals to gain exposure and build skills through work in an international development organization and potentially, form a crop of professionals with experience relevant to the international development or other professional sectors.
Purpose of Role
The post holder will be expected to perform a wide range of duties using independent judgment and initiative to determine approaches or actions to take in non-routine situations. In broad terms, the holders will provide administrative and operational support for CP strategy, monitoring, evaluation and knowledge management activities etc.
S/he will be required to interpret guidelines using policies and precedents. Most importantly S/he will be able to demonstrate sufficient professional and personal maturity to be entrusted with what in many cases will be sensitive information.
A key responsibility of the intern will be to provide support to the Strategy, Programme Effectiveness & Learning department and the CP at large, in a number of capacities and activities. These will include:
- Deliver learning and knowledge management projects/initiatives including but not limited to writing reports; collation, documentation, filing and sharing knowledge management/learning products.
- Review and update the tools and templates utilised for reporting on all aspects of WANG programmes to ensure consistency, relevance and user-friendliness both to staff and partners.
- Development of quantitative and qualitative indicators for measuring WANG performance on different programme areas.
- Monitoring and evaluation initiatives.
- Directly supervise data collection from programme–supported businesses using data collection tools (sales, records etc) and make suggestions on improvement to monitoring tools and data collection systems.
- Monitoring of the sanitation marketing activities and tracking the learning outcomes for dissemination to wider stakeholders
- Act as liaison with People & Organizational Development department in seeking /securing support as may be required for delivery of day to day Strategy, Programme Effectiveness & Learning department activities
- Support the Head of Strategy, Programme Effectiveness & Learning and members of the SPEL team with other duties as may arise.
Skills / Abilities / Personal Qualities
- Ability to maintain confidentialities and quickly build trust- Demonstrate ability to manage information with appropriate discretion and respect for sensitivity.
- Organizing, Planning, and Prioritizing Work — Developing specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work.
- Establishing and Maintaining Interpersonal Relationships — Developing constructive and cooperative working relationships with others, and maintaining them over time.
- Willingness to learn: Demonstrating a willingness to learn new ideas using a combination of learning approaches;
- Self-motivation and Initiative — Ability to inspire oneself to take on challenging tasks and commit to deliver work of excellent quality.
- Written and Oral Expression — Excellent ability to communicate information and ideas in writing and speaking so others will easily understand.
- Time Management — Managing one's own time and the time of others; Keen sense and appreciation of priorities and deadlines
- Flexibility-Ability to adapt to difficult situations (e.g. unforeseen change in context)
- Attention to details – Ability to carry out assigned responsibilities to expected quality with minimal errors.
- Completion of a 4year undergraduate degree course in arts, social sciences, business or natural sciences business administration or related field from a reputable university.
- Completion of National Youth Service Corp (NYSC) programme no more than 5 years before the date of application
- A Masters Degree in any of the fields as listed.
Work Experience/Specific Knowledge
- Strong conceptual and analytical skills.
- Demonstrate a keen aptitude and appetite for learning and personal development.
- Demonstrate WaterAid's values.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with a variety of people.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability and willingness to travel to the field.
- Computer proficiency (Office software, internet and email).
- Interest in development career in development/NGO sector.
Our People Promise
We’re looking for people who share a commitment to our vision, and a commitment to playing their part in changing normal. We’re looking for people with an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important challenges.
In return, you can expect to get inspiration from the change you help make happen, a sense of belonging, and the feeling of being part of a global community. You will also experience stimulation and fulfilment, the chance to grow, and the space to be yourself at your best.
This is our pledge to you.
If you are interested in the position and have the right skills and attributes, complete the form by clicking on this LINK
Closing date for this application is 22 June, 2021
WaterAid is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
We particularly encourage applications from women who are underrepresented at this level in the organisation.
WaterAid is committed to ensuring that wherever we work in the world there is no tolerance for the abuse of power, privilege or trust. WaterAid reinforces a culture of zero tolerance towards any form of inappropriate behaviour, abuse, harassment, or exploitation of any kind. The safeguarding of our beneficiaries, staff, volunteers and anyone working on our behalf, is our top priority, and we take our responsibilities extremely seriously. All staff and volunteers are required to share in this commitment through our Global Code of Conduct.