Country Director – Uganda
It’s hard to believe that today 844 million people do not have clean water and 2.3 billion do not have a decent toilet – around one in three of the world’s population. Every two minutes a child under five dies from diarrheal diseases caused by poor water and sanitation.
WaterAid works through supporting local organisations and government authorities to design and demonstrate appropriate and sustainable WASH programmes. WaterAid also seeks to influence policy change through government and other key sector actors to secure and protect the rights of poor people to safe, affordable water and sanitation services.
WaterAid is looking for a Country Director in Uganda to play a vital role in our mission to make clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene normal for everyone, everywhere.
The primary purpose of the Country Director is to provide leadership to the Country Programme and to contribute to the regional, pan Africa and global leadership of WaterAid. The Country Director achieves this by steering the direction of the Country Programme, empowering and developing staff and partners and influencing public and private institutions on the impact that improvements in safe water and improved sanitation and hygiene can make to the poorest and most excluded - therefore contributing to wider poverty reduction and human development.
Key responsibilities include:
- Provide strong strategic leadership to the country team promoting a management culture that is supportive, empowering and collaborative.
- Deliver the Country Strategy in line with WaterAid's Global Strategy.
- Stay aware of local funding context and identify appropriate opportunities to increase income, in conjunction with the Regional Team and the Programme Funding Unit.
- Programme delivery and accountability. Support the Regional Director in maintaining strategic oversight of programme work within the country.
To be successful, you will need the following:
- A master’s degree and professional qualification in a relevant subject (development studies, social sciences), preferably with significant reference to the WASH sector.
- Fluent spoken, read and written English
- Minimum 12 years’ experience of working at a senior management level in the development sector
- Fully committed to WaterAid’s vision, mission and values and a way of working that demonstrates this, with the ability to communicate this enthusiasm to others
By 2030, we want everyone everywhere to have clean water, sanitation and hygiene. We need you to help us make it happen. If you bring your expertise, passion and professionalism, we will give you a lot back.
Find our job description attached below.
We’re looking for people who share a commitment to our vision. We’re looking for people with an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important challenges.
In return, you can expect to get inspiration from the change you help make happen, a sense of belonging and the feeling of being part of a global community. You will also experience stimulation and fulfilment, the chance to grow, and space to be yourself at your best. This is our pledge to you.
If you are interested in the position and have the right skills and attributes, please complete our job application form found below and send it to EArecruitments@wateraid.org stating CD –WAU and your name in the subject line.
Your application should reach us by 31 May 2018. Women are strongly encouraged to apply. We will only accept applications done through our job application form.
Please note: to apply for this role you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in Uganda.
WaterAid is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. We particularly encourage applications from women who are underrepresented at this level in the organisation.
Only candidates shortlisted for interviewing will be contacted within two weeks of the closing date for applications.
No recruitment agencies please.