State Programmes Lead - Nigeria
WaterAid is an international not-for-profit organisation dedicated to helping the poor and marginalised people break free from poverty and disease, and change their lives for good through improved access to clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene. Since 1995, WaterAid has dedicatedly worked with the governments and people of Nigeria to support the implementation of sustainable water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) interventions and programmes.
Working with the Programmes Directorate in WaterAid Nigeria, the position of the State Programme Lead is expected to take significant responsibility for influencing and galvanizing state level actors (policy makers, civil society, private sector and citizens) towards playing their roles to achieve increased access to WASH services in the state. The role is accountable for planning the effective delivery of state based programmatic outcomes that align with programme delivery plans in line with WaterAid quality programme standards and approaches; building and nurturing effective collaborations and partnerships with stakeholders (including implementing partners) for the delivery of WaterAid programmes /projects and an improved WASH outcome in the designated WaterAid state programme.
Key responsibilities of the State Programmes Lead (Enugu) include:
- Coordinate, provide effective oversight and scale up WaterAid’s delivery of influencing led programmes that transform WASH access in Enugu State.
- Build effective collaborations and manage complex working relationships with partners of WaterAid in Enugu State including Enugu Small Towns Unit, Enugu Rural Water & Sanitation Agency (ENRUWASSA), health sector coordinating entities, civil society organizations etc.
- Use knowledge of state context to initiate fundable project proposals and concepts that respond to key WASH issues in the state; develop case studies and learning products to market WaterAid’s work and activities in Enugu state to potential funders.
- Support design of programming activities to influence government (state & LGA) policy & legislation, budgets, co-ordination mechanisms and innovative delivery approaches to strengthen WASH services and increase WASH access in Enugu State.
- Provide effective leadership and motivation to the state based WaterAid team to deliver high performance.
To be successful in the State Programmes Lead (Enugu) role:
- Candidates must demonstrate substantial experience in managing development projects and programmes preferably in a reputable international development organization or a strong national non-governmental organization (NGO)
- Possess a Master’s degree or higher education, preferably in a discipline directly or closely related to, development management
- Our desired candidate will have substantial prior experience in leading and managing teams of professionals with diverse technical expertise and with responsibility for overseeing project design and delivery.
- Candidate must be able to engage effectively with a broad range of stakeholders and demonstrate experience advocating and influencing key sector stakeholders to prioritize positive action towards a change agenda.
- The desired candidate must demonstrate experience coordinating the work of sub grant recipient partners and building effective relationships with partners.
- Demonstrate strong financial management skills including expertise in developing and managing complex budgets and experience in preparing donor reports (narrative and financial).
- Candidates with prior experience delivering WASH services using a market based approach will represent a distinct advantage.
- Full commitment to WaterAid’s vision, mission and values and a way of working that demonstrates this, with the ability to communicate this enthusiasm to others.
We're looking for people who share a commitment to our vision. We’re looking for people with an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important challenges.
In return, you can expect to get inspiration from the change you help make happen, a sense of belonging and the feeling of being part of a global community. You will also experience stimulation and fulfilment, the chance to grow, and space to be yourself at your best. This is our pledge to you.
Find the job description linked below the advert for full details of the role.
If you are interested in the position and have the right skills and attributes, complete the application form by clicking this
Deadline: 14th December 2018.
Please note: to apply for this role you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in Nigeria.
We started because no NGO like us existed. We’ll end when no organisation like us is needed. In the meantime, we’re making great progress – since 1981, we have reached 25 million people with clean water and, since 2004, 24 million people with sanitation.
WaterAid is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. We particularly encourage applications from women who are underrepresented at this level in the organisation.
Only candidates shortlisted for interviewing will be contacted within two weeks of the closing date for applications.