Winnovators – our global employee development programme
Due to the COVID-19 outbreak we must cancel the 2020 Winnovators programme.
As staff in our country programme offices must deal with the effects of the virus in our programme work, we can't guarantee the full level of support from them for the Solve element of Winnovators. We apologise to all of our participants and hope you will be able to join the programme next year.
What do the teams do?
- Compete to solve a real-world problem while learning new skills.
- Think outside the box inventing life changing ideas.
- Enhance leadership qualities and transform futures through clean water, decent toilets, and good hygiene.
How does it work?
Your team of six to ten people will tackle a challenge from a country where we work. To win the chance of visiting that country, you’ll compete with teams around the world to find innovative solutions to the problem.
You’ll need to:
Solve: choose a real case study and use the unique expertise of your team and organisation to share ideas to help solve it.
Fund: pitch exciting, big ticket fundraising campaigns to WaterAid to secure a £500 seed fund and use this to make your events a reality and raise at least £5,000.*
Learn: set individual and team learning goals and monitor your progress throughout the programme.
*See the FAQ's at the bottom of this page to find out more.
What’s in it for you?
For businesses, Winnovators is a unique corporate and social responsibility programme, enchancing business profile while contributing ideas and funds to tackle the global water, sanitation, and hygiene crisis. In 2019, 93% of participants said that their company's support for Winnovators demonstrated their business values and integrity.
For managers, Winnovators is an innovative form of staff skills development, making it a great way for you to enhance your employee offer.
For team members, it’s a fun learning experience that helps develop creative and critical thinking and deepen your relationships with your team – all while raising your profile in your company.
- 96% Winnovators participants developed skills that can be applied in the workplace
- 94% would recommend the programme to others
- 93% enhanced their team working skills
What do we need from you?
If you're an employee interested in participating in our 2020 programme, you'll need the backing of your company and line manager and a team of six to ten people to commit to at least two days a month during the six-month programme.
We'll provide the resources you need to solve, fund and learn – you provide the commitment and enthusiasm! Please see the FAQs below for more information about financing the challenge.
See what it's all about
Frequently Asked Questions
Please note that the 2020 programme has been cancelled due to COVID-19.
Challenges vary from year to year. Please note that the 2020 programme has been cancelled due to COVID-19.
For companies in the Australia, UK, US, and Sweden: The programme is free, but we ask that your company underwrites the seed fund provided by WaterAid, in case your team fails to deliver a minimum profit. Seed funding amount and fundraising targets vary by country. Please contact [email protected] for more information.
For companies in India and Japan: entry costs and fundraising targets depend on your country of residence. Teams will not be giving seed funding. Please contact [email protected] for more information.
For the 2020 programme, one lucky team will be crowned Global Overall Winner and get to visit our work (terms and conditions apply).
Download UK terms and conditions >
Download Australia terms and conditions >
Download Canada terms and conditions >
Download US terms and conditions >
Download Japan terms and conditions >
Download India terms and conditions >
Download Colombia terms and conditions >
Download the Nordics terms and conditions >
In October, each year.
Since 2015, Winnovators has raised nearly £760,000 for our work.
Ideas and solutions are shared with, and judged by, the feature country for them to put into practice.
- We have experts from across WaterAid who judge the three core components of Winnovators: Solve, Fund and Learn within the team submissions.
- The judging panel is made up of technical experts (solve) fundraising experts (fund) and members from our people development team (learn).
- Teams are judged in accordance to the award categories and guidance (provided when they teams start the programme) for what the judges are looking for.
- The competition is split into regions with the winners from each region entering the final to compete against each other. One of these regional winners is then crowned the global overall winner.
- To qualify to be a regional or global winner, the team must excel in all three areas of solve, fund and learn and also raise more than £/$10,000.*
*This varies per region. Please contact [email protected] for more information.
See 2017 winners Team Albagua from Scottish Water and Fujitsu test the hygiene app they made as part of the Nicaragua challenge
Take a look at 2018 winners Team Praan from Sydney Water trial the 'Poo Switcheroo' mechanism they made for the India challenge