Winnovators – our exciting employee programme
What do the teams do?
- Compete to solve a real-world problem while learning new skills.
- Think outside the box inventing life changing ideas.
- Enhance leaderships qualities and transform futures through clean water, decent toilets, and good hygiene.
How does it work?
Your team of six to eight people will tackle a real water, sanitation or hygiene challenge from a country where we work. To win the chance of visiting that country, you’ll compete with teams around the world to find innovative solutions to the problem.
You’ll need to:
Solve: choose a real case study – water, sanitation, or hygiene – and use the unique expertise of your team and organisation to solve it
Fund: pitch exciting, big ticket fundraising campaigns to WaterAid to secure a £500 seed fund and use this to make your events a reality and raise at least £5,000 for our work in India.
Learn: set individual and team learning goals and monitor your progress throughout the programme.
What’s in it for you?
For managers, Winnovators is an innovative form of staff skills development, making it a great way for you to enhance your employee offer
For businesses, Winnovators is a unique corporate and social responsibility programme, enchancing business profile while contributing ideas and funds to tackle the global water, sanitation, and hygiene crisis
For team members, it’s a fun learning experience that helps develop creative and critical thinking and deepen your relationships with your team – all while raising your profile in your company
- 92% would recommend Winnovators to others
- 96% developed skills that can be applied to the work place
- 92% achieved personal learning objectives
What do we need from you?
If you're an employee who would like to take part, you'll need the backing of your company and line manager and a team of six to eight people to commit to at least two days a month during the nine-month programme.
No financial support from your company is required. We'll provide the resources you need to solve, fund and learn – you provide the commitment and enthusiasm!
See what it's all about
Get your team on board
Frequently Asked Questions
Registration for Winnovators 2017 has closed. We will be recruiting for Winnovators 2018 in October 2017.
Fill in your details and we'll be in touch.
The challenges are not only about the technology or engineering, but reflect the complex nature of our work. This includes areas such as business models, taking ideas to scale and hygiene promotion.
For the 2017 programme, teams chose between a water, sanitation, hygiene, or legal problem – and are working on an innovative solution that could be put into practise in our work:
- Water challenge: designing surface water intakes in unstable soils with solar pumping to remote villages
- Sanitation challenge: faecal sludge management business plan and service equipment design
- Hygiene challenge: Track, monitor and incentivise hygiene promoter visits through mobile applications.
- Legal finance challenge: legal finance and business structure for a hub for entrepreneurial initiatives for self-supply.
The programme is free, but we ask that your company underwrites the seed fund provided by WaterAid, in case your team fails to deliver a minimum profit.
We also ask that your company gives your Winnovators team time and support, so they can really excel.
In October, each year.
This year, the challenge country is Nicaragua, where more than 1 in 10 people lack clean drinking water and over 3 in 10 don't have a decent toilet.
Ideas and solutions are shared with – and judged by – the feature country for them to put into practice.
The funding aspect means that in 2016, the Winnovators teams raised over £139,000 for our work.
The overall winning 2017 Winnovators team will go to Nicaragua and test out the solutions generated by a range of Winnovators teams (including their own), reporting back on their progress.