This amazing cycle challenge will take you on and off-road through the friendly towns and villages of rural southern Zambia. You will pass farmland and sugar cane plantations, enjoy the everyday scenes of Zambian village life, and spot wildlife along the way.
You will also have the opportunity to visit a WaterAid project to see how your fundraising helps change lives.
The challenge is led by adventure travel experts Discover Adventure.
People of all ages and from all walks of life are welcome, although we do recommend that you have a reasonable level of fitness. You can sign up as an individual or a group.
You must have raised at least 80% of the fundraising target (£3,520) by 15 June 2018, as that's when we get invoiced for the cost of the trip. The remaining 20% (£880) is due within four weeks of your return (15 October 2018).
The registration fee and Gift Aid do not count towards your fundraising target.
The event is classed as 'demanding'.
The main challenge lies in spending six full days in the saddle, cycling on dirt and sand tracks in intense heat. The ride is achievable for most people provided they train in advance.
We supply a thorough training guide once you've registered.
We will be cycling on both tarmac roads and off-road tracks.
Many of the tracks are dirt roads in good condition but there are some sections where previous off-road experience would be useful, in order to navigate the terrain safely and confidently. The terrain is relatively flat or has gradual inclines.
We will cycle approximately 480km over six days on the trip.
A typical day cycling will start with breakfast at about 6.00am, before setting off on your bike at about 7.30am. We'll try to avoid riding during the hottest part of the day, so will stop for lunch between 12-2pm.
It’s extremely hot but we will carry a lot of water and find shade wherever possible for rest stops.
Most days will finish around 5-6pm when we arrive into camp.
We'll stay in a range of accommodation during the trip, from lodges to guesthouses. All rooms are on a twin-share basis.
We will also stay some nights in camps on private land, often as part of a permanent tented campsite with great facilities. These are often a unique way to the experience the African bush with wildlife-spotting opportunities.
Once you’ve signed up we’ll be in regular contact, providing you with lots of fundraising and training support. You'll receive a comprehensive event manual that will include specific details and reminders about your exciting challenge.
An expedition doctor or medic also accompanies trips unless we run below the minimum group size. Our local support crew is made of a friendly team of local guides and drivers. Local guides are a great source of knowledge about local customs and lifestyles. The Discover Adventure crew work closely with the local crew to ensure your trip runs smoothly and safely.
Support vehicles are with the group at all times. All luggage, spares, food, water and camping equipment is carried by them.
All you need is a helmet and a sleeping bag. You'll be provided with a full packing checklist once you sign up. Bikes are provided and you’ll have a bike fitting when you first arrive.
Yes, everyone will need to take out their own comprehensive travel insurance.
The food is designed to provide you with the energy needed to complete the challenge. Most meals are based on local cuisine. Anyone with special dietary requirements can be catered for if advance notice is given.
A ten-year passport, valid for at least six months after entry into Zambia, is essential. British passport holders should obtain the joint Zambia/Zimbabwe UNIVISA to cross the border at Victoria Falls. Other nationalities should check with their embassy.
Your routine UK schedule of vaccinations should be up-to-date, including tetanus. Check with your GP for additional travel health advice – malaria is a risk in this region.
International flights, accommodation, all food apart from where specified in the itinerary, and all internal transfers required.
Travel to and from UK airports, visa, vaccinations (if needed), travel insurance, departure taxes, alcoholic drinks and crew tips.
Have a question about the event you've signed up to? Or do you need some help choosing your next challenge?
Contact our Events team and they’ll be happy to help.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 020 7793 4594
You can also join the WaterAid Events Facebook group to get answers to any questions you may have.