Registrations for Trek Tanzania are now closed.
Trekking through the Crater Highland and Rift Valley landscapes of Tanzania, witness the traditional Masai way of life as the tribesmen tend their cattle in this spectacular region.
The scenery is magnificent, with rolling green grasslands and acacia forests dominated by volcanic cones and the great Rift Valley escarpment.
As part of the trek, you’ll visit a WaterAid project to see first-hand how your incredible support is helping to transform lives.
Finishing with a safari in Lake Manyara National Park, home to wildlife including lion, zebra, giraffe and elephant, this will be an experience of a lifetime!
Challenge Grade - 3
This challenging trek covers a variety of terrain with forest paths, wide turf trails. rocks and mud. In addition, the route has some steep sections, both up and down. There is also a small chance of feeling the effects of being at altitude at the crater rims which form the higher points of the trek.
People of all ages and from all walks of life are welcome, although we do recommend that you have a reasonable level of fitness. You can sign up as an individual or a group.
You must have raised at least 80% of the fundraising target (£3,600) by 1 March 2019, as that's when we get invoiced for the cost of the trip. The remaining 20% (£900) is due within four weeks of your return (24 June 2019).
The registration fee and Gift Aid do not count towards your fundraising target.
This event is designed to be challenging for those of good health and fitness, and is achievable for most people provided they train well in advance. We supply a thorough training guide once you've registered.
Terrain is varied; we trek on forest paths, wide turf trails, dirt paths and over some rockier terrain. Much of the walking is rough underfoot and can be muddy. There are some steep sections both up and down.
On a typical day we will be trekking through varied terrain for between 4-8 hours. Most day’s we will experience the local Masai way of life, trekking through or past traditional villages and towns.
We'll stay in a range of accommodation during the trip, from lodges to hotels. All rooms are on a twin-share basis.
We will also stay some nights in camps, often as part of a permanent tented campsite but sometimes in more basic bush-camps. These can be a unique way to experience the African bush and will often be close to Masai villages.
Once you’ve signed up we’ll be in regular contact, providing you with lots of fundraising and training support. You'll receive a comprehensive event manual that will include specific details and reminders about your exciting challenge.
An expedition doctor or medic also accompanies trips unless we run below the minimum group size. Our local support crew is made of a friendly team of local guides and drivers. Local guides are a great source of knowledge about local customs and lifestyles. The Discover Adventure crew work closely with the local crew to ensure your trip runs smoothly and safely.
Support vehicles are with the group at all times. All luggage, spares, food, water and camping equipment is carried by them.
All you need is a pair of walking boots and a sleeping bag. You'll be provided with a full packing checklist once you sign up.
Yes, everyone will need to take out their own comprehensive travel insurance.
The food is designed to provide you with the energy needed to complete the challenge. Most meals are based on local cuisine. Anyone with special dietary requirements can be catered for if advance notice is given.
A ten-year passport is essential, valid for at least six months after departure from Tanzania. Most nationalities, including UK citizens, require an entry visa.
Your routine UK schedule of vaccinations should be up-to-date, including tetanus. Check with your GP for additional travel health advice – malaria is a risk in this region.
International flights, accommodation, all food apart from where specified in the itinerary, and all internal transfers required.
Travel to and from UK airports, visa, vaccinations (if needed), travel insurance, departure taxes, alcoholic drinks and crew tips.
Have a question about the event you've signed up to? Or do you need some help choosing your next challenge?
Contact our Events team and they’ll be happy to help.
You can also join the WaterAid Events Facebook group to get answers to any questions you may have.