What are local groups?
WaterAid's local groups are an essential part of our work, raising awareness and fundraising across the UK. Made up of volunteers, they give us a vital link to communities and act as local ambassadors for WaterAid.
Our local groups vary in size and the way they work. Some groups hold events each month and others may plan just one or two events a year. Volunteers come from all backgrounds, and are involved with activities as and when they have time.
Generally, groups try and do some (or all!) of the following:
- Plan and hold fundraising events such as sponsored walks, pub quizzes, wine tasting evenings, cake sales, bucket collections and music events.
- Build relationships with local organisations, community groups and schools, and encourage them to support WaterAid.
- Support and represent WaterAid at local events.
- Generate publicity in their local media.
- Get involved with WaterAid's key campaigns and petitions, and raise awareness on World Water Day and World Toilet Day.