Safety considerations

Your risk assessment will help you identify any safety precautions that you may need to take to ensure your event is safe and legal. We've listed below some potential issues to consider.

First aid

It is good practice to have a first aid box and qualified first aider present at any event. At larger events, it is worth arranging an agreed level of first aid cover for a donation to the relevant organisation, such as St John's Ambulance


Fire safety should be part of your risk assessment and it is recommended that you contact your local fire brigade safety officer for information. You may need to provide appropriate equipment and decide on a fire assembly point. 


Seek advice from the building owner or landlord – they may already have their own evacuation plan. The building control department of your local authority and/or the fire brigade should be able to provide further information. 


Consider the safety of your colleagues and volunteers if large amounts of cash are expected to be collected. Think about cash boxes, night banking and have a minimum of two volunteers to count and record donations. 


If your event is small enough you should be able to manage with helpers and volunteers. If you are running a larger event you may need to consider hiring in professional companies. All stewards need to be properly briefed and trained. 


Communication between organisers, stewards and emergency services is vital. One person should be nominated to take control and be on hand in case anything happens. Equipment, such as walkie-talkies, mobiles, etc, should be provided. 

People with disabilities

Your arrangements must make provision for people with disabilities. Your risk assessment must include hazards specific to people with disabilities – access, comfort facilities, safe viewing areas, emergency procedures, etc. Visit the British Council of Disabled People website to find out more. 

Food safety

Events involving the production, supply or sale of food either by you or catering organisations must comply with a number of regulations. The Food Standards Agency offer good advice. External catering companies must be registered with your local council. 


Consider the supply of fresh drinking water, water for washing, toilets, PA systems, lighting and temporary structures, eg tents and stages. Review your requirements for inclement weather – extra tenting, duckboards, heating and cooling.